Today, Vantage announces support for MongoDB Atlas costs in the Vantage console. Vantage customers can now see their overall MongoDB Atlas costs alongside their primary infrastructure provider. Customers can add any number of MongoDB Atlas organizations from their integrations page and Vantage will automatically ingest and visualize Mongo DB Atlas costs accordingly.
Customers are increasingly using one or more cloud service provider alongside their primary cloud of AWS, GCP or Azure. For some customers, MongoDB Atlas is their primary datastore and can drive significant costs. In order to account for the full costs of running a service it is necessary to visualize MongoDB Atlas costs alongside corresponding cloud provider compute services.
Now, customers can grant Vantage secure, read-only access to their MongoDB billing data via the Invoices API accessible through a provided API key. Upon granting access, Vantage will ingest invoice line items which are used to calculate overall costs. Filters in Vantage have been expanded to allow for Cost Reports to report on MongoDB Atlas costs with dimensions of a specific service, cost category, organization, and project. By combining filters for MongoDB Atlas and the infrastructure provider where the compute portion of their application is running users are able to see the combined costs for their entire application deployment in a single view.
MongoDB Atlas is now generally available to all customers at the time of this blog post. To begin viewing MongoDB Atlas costs in Vantage, head to the integrations page to provide Vantage with your organization id and pair of API keys. Additionally, you can read more about this integration in the MongoDB Atlas documentation.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is being launched today?
Today, Vantage is announcing general availability support for MongoDB Atlas. Vantage users can now provide Vantage with access to the MongoDB Atlas API and costs will automatically begin to be ingested and visualized within Vantage from the corresponding organization. Vantage will refresh cost data from MongoDB Atlas on a daily basis to ensure data is always up-to-date.
2. Who is the customer?
This feature is available to all Vantage users, including users in the free tier. You must have a MongoDB Atlas organization.
3. What is MongoDB Atlas?
MongoDB Atlas is a cloud hosted version of MongoDB. It can be used as your primary data store as well as for data engineering workloads.
MongoDB Atlas is a multi-cloud database service by the same people that build MongoDB. Atlas simplifies deploying and managing your databases while offering the versatility you need to build resilient and performant global applications on the cloud providers of your choice.
4. How much does this cost?
There is no additional cost to MongoDB support. However, MongoDB costs will be included in quota tier enforcement. In the event that your MongoDB costs push you over your current tier limit you may be prompted to upgrade. To see more details on pricing, please refer to the pricing page here: https://www.vantage.sh/pricing
5. How does Vantage technically integrate with MongoDB Atlas?
Vantage uses a read-only API key to pull data from the Invoices API. When connecting MongoDB Atlas you will be required to supply your organization id, public api key and private api key.
The requesting API Key must have the Organization Member role. If you have a cross-organization setup, to view linked invoices, you must have an Organization Billing Admin or Organization Owner role.
6. Does Vantage have access to data stored in MongoDB?
No. Vantage will only have read-only access to project level data.
7. What dimensions can MongoDB Atlas costs be filtered by?
MongoDB costs can be filtered by service, organization, cost category and project.
8. I am a customer who pays my MongoDB Atlas bill via AWS Marketplace, will Vantage replace this line-item with the corresponding MongoDB bill?
Yes, the corresponding line item for GCP and AWS Marketplace will be hidden from the All Resources cost report. If you create another report filtered to GCP or AWS it will appear.
9. Can I see MongoDB Atlas clusters in my Active Resources?
Yes, your MongoDB Clusters will be available in your Active Resources. In order for Vantage to access the necessary APIs the created organization API Key must be invited a specific project and granted Project Read Only access.
10. I am a Vantage customer who has already connected my AWS, Azure and/or GCP account, can I see my MongoDB costs alongside existing AWS/Azure/GCP costs?
Yes. After adding a MongoDB integration, MongoDB will be available as a provider under Cost Report filters. MongoDB costs will also automatically be included under the “All Resources” cost report. You can combine cost data between providers with specific MongoDB projects and corresponding infrastructure accounts or tags.
11. What Cost Report groupings are available for MongoDB costs?
MongoDB costs can be grouped by service, cluster, and tag.
12. How often does MongoDB data refresh in the Vantage console?
Vantage will update MongoDB costs every day at midnight UTC.
13. What happens if I remove a MongoDB integration?
If you decide to remove your MongoDB integration from Vantage, all associated costs will be removed from the Vantage console associated with that MongoDB organization.
14. Can I have multiple MongoDB organization integrations?
Yes. There is no limit to the number of MongoDB integrations you can add to Vantage.
15. Will MongoDB costs be represented in the Overview page?
Yes. MongoDB costs are available in the Costs by Project widget.
16. Is there any additional documentation on this integration?
Yes. Documentation on the MongoDB integration can be found here: https://docs.vantage.sh/connecting_mongodb-atlas
17. I’ve just added my MongoDB organization, how long will it take for my cost data to be present in the Vantage console?
Costs will be ingested and processed as soon as you add the integration. It usually takes less than 15 minutes to ingest MongoDB costs. As soon as they are processed they will be available on your “All Resources” Cost Report.
18. MongoDB can be deployed on Azure, GCP or AWS. Does Vantage support all clouds?
Yes, Vantage integrates directly with MongoDB’s API and is agnostic to where it is deployed.
19. Will historical cost data for MongoDB be available?
Yes, when following the integration setup, you will be configuring 6 months of historical usage data from MongoDB.
20. What other cloud service providers is Vantage adding?
Vantage is planning on adding support for fly.io, Planetscale and New Relic. Please contact email@example.com with other providers you’d like to see added.
21. I have a request for a cloud service provider who is not on the current roadmap - can I get it supported?
Maybe. Please write into firstname.lastname@example.org as we are prioritizing the next set of cloud service providers.
22. Are there any cost recommendations specific to MongoDB Atlas?