Today, Vantage announces support for Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) costs in the Vantage console. Vantage customers can now see their overall OCI costs alongside their other infrastructure providers. Customers can add any number of Oracle Cloud tenancies from their integrations page and Vantage will automatically ingest and visualize Oracle Cloud costs accordingly.
Many customers use Oracle Cloud Infrastructure alongside other IaaS providers such as AWS or Azure. For some customers, Oracle is their primary cloud provider where they deploy the majority of the infrastructure and incur the most costs. For these companies evaluating a FinOps vendor, it is necessary to have support for Oracle spend.
Now, Vantage customers can grant secure, read-only access to their Oracle Cloud Infrastructure cost data via the Cost and Usage Reports object storage bucket. This bucket is accessible through an IAM user and API key. Upon granting access, Vantage will ingest and process the previous six months of cost and usage reports. Filters in Vantage have been expanded to allow for Cost Reports to report on OCI costs with dimensions of a specific service, cost category, tenancy, tag, resource, region or compartment. Customers can combine these costs on Oracle with any other cloud provider they have connected in order to get a complete picture of their spend for a specific service or team.
Oracle Cloud Infrastructure is now generally available to all customers at the time of this blog post. To begin viewing OCI costs in Vantage, head to the integrations page to see the OCI CLI commands along with a generated RSA key. Additionally, you can read more about this integration in the Vantage documentation on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is being launched today?
Today, Vantage is announcing general availability support for Oracle Cloud Infrastructure. Vantage users can now provide Vantage with access to their tenancy’s Cost and Usage Report object storage bucket and costs will automatically begin to be ingested and visualized within Vantage. Vantage will refresh cost data from Oracle on a daily basis to ensure data is always up-to-date.
2. Who is the customer?
This feature is available to all Vantage users, including users in the free tier. You must have a Oracle Cloud Infrastructure tenancy with Cost and Usage Reports enabled.
3. What is Oracle Cloud Infrastructure?
Oracle Cloud is a cloud computing service offered by Oracle Corporation providing servers, storage, network, applications and services through a global network of Oracle Corporation managed data centers.
4. How much does this cost?
There is no additional cost to Oracle support. However, Oracle costs will be included in quota tier enforcement. In the event that your Oracle costs push you over your current tier limit you may be prompted to upgrade. To see more details on pricing, please refer to the pricing page.
5. How does Vantage technically integrate with Oracle Cloud?
Vantage uses a read-only IAM user and API key to read from a Cost and Usage Reports object storage bucket. When connecting Oracle you will be required to create a Vantage-specific IAM user and upload a generated RSA public key to that user. That user must then be granted access to read objects from the Cost and Usage Report tenancy.
6. Does Vantage have access to any data stored in Oracle Cloud?
No. Vantage will only have the granted read-only access to the object storage bucket which contains cost and usage reports.
7. What dimensions can Oracle Cloud costs be filtered by?
Oracle costs can be filtered by service, tenancy, region, cost category, resource, tag, region, and compartment.
8. Can I see Oracle costs per resource?
Yes, for all services which associate costs with resources you will be able to look at costs by resource and category.
9. Can I see Oracle active resources in my Active Resources?
No, this is not supported at this time. If you would like to request this feature please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. I am a Vantage customer who has already connected my AWS, Azure and/or other infrastructure providers, can I see my Oracle costs alongside existing costs?
Yes. After adding an Oracle Cloud integration, Oracle Cloud will be available as a provider under Cost Report filters. Oracle Cloud costs will also automatically be included under the “All Resources” cost report. You can combine cost data between providers with specific compartments, tenancies and corresponding infrastructure tags.
11. What Cost Report groupings are available for Oracle Cloud costs?
Oracle Cloud costs can be grouped by service, billing account (Tenancy), account (Compartment), resource, category, region, and tag.
12. How often does Oracle Cloud data refresh in the Vantage console?
Vantage will update Oracle Cloud costs every day at midnight UTC.
13. What is required when setting up an Oracle Cloud integration in Vantage?
You will be given a set of CLI commands to run. These commands will create a user and group and then grant permissions for that group to access the Oracle hosted object storage bucket.
You will then be required to enter in your Tenancy, the user id of the created user and home region. The home region is used to access the Cost and Usage Reports object storage bucket.
14. Can I have multiple Oracle Cloud organization integrations?
Yes. There is no limit to the number of Oracle Cloud integrations you can add to Vantage.
15. Will Oracle Cloud costs be represented in the Overview page?
Yes. Oracle Cloud costs are available in the Costs by Compartment widget.
16. Is there any additional documentation on this integration?
Yes. Documentation on the Oracle Cloud integration can be found here: https://docs.vantage.sh/connecting_oracle
17. I’ve just added my Oracle Cloud organization, how long will it take for my cost data to be present in the Vantage console?
Costs will be ingested and processed as soon as you add the integration. It usually takes less than an hour to ingest Oracle costs. As soon as they are processed they will be available on your “All Resources” Cost Report and you will receive an email letting you know this is complete.
18. Will historical cost data for Oracle Cloud be available?
Yes, historical data will be available starting at the time Oracle Cost and Usage Reports were enabled for your account. Vantage will, by default, ingest the previous 6 months of data.
19. What other cloud service providers is Vantage adding?
20. I have a request for a cloud service provider that is not on the current roadmap - can I get it supported?
Maybe. Please write to email@example.com as we are prioritizing the next set of cloud service providers.
21. Are there any cost recommendations specific to Oracle Cloud?
Not yet, but this is on our roadmap.
22. Which cost categories are amortized?
Amortization is not currently supported as part of Oracle Cloud.
23. Can I rotate the API key I use to integrate with Oracle Cloud without losing my cost data?
You can contact firstname.lastname@example.org in order to rotate the API Key. You will not lose any cost data as part of this process.
24. What happens if I remove an Oracle Cloud integration?
If you decide to remove your Oracle Cloud integration from Vantage, all associated costs will be removed from the Vantage console associated with that Oracle Cloud tenancy.